Summertime… and the living is easy – especially if you're lucky enough to have a great decking outdoor space to while away the warm days and balmy evenings.
Summer 2018/19 was the year of the staycation – more Australians than ever decided to spend their summer holidays at home rather than abroad. And nothing quite says ‘Aussie summer’ like a groovy and generous deck space with plenty of comfy furniture to lounge on while you kick back with a refreshing drink, a juicy read, good friends and loved ones.
Like any other room in your home, your deck will benefit from some thoughtful design and decoration to make it party central. Here’s a raft of great ideas to make your backyard the perfect destination:
- Start with a plan. What kind of vibe do you want to achieve? Laid back, luxurious Hamptons style? 50s flamingo pool party? Family chill out spot? The perfect place to gather all your friends for a BBQ? Take some time to really drill down to the must-haves for your outdoor space, and you'll be more than halfway to creating the deck or pergola of your dreams.
- How will you make it cosy? The best decks are those flexible enough to meet all your entertainment needs. If you’ve got the space, separate it into separate zones for dining, lounging and relaxed conversation. Consider a variety of seating options to accommodate everyone – convertible furniture (furniture that performs multiple roles, like storage ottomans) is a good idea because it gives you extra room to stash accessories like blankets and cushions. An overhead fan will keep mosquitos away and make you feel cooler, while a range of ambient lighting will put you in a relaxing mood.
- Bring the inside outside. Follow design's golden rule – the best indoor spaces bring the outdoors in, so reverse that with your outdoor room and bring elements of your interior design out to the deck. That means coordinating colours, furniture design and accessories, so there's a seamless flow from indoors to out. If you’re the kind of person who loves to cook for others, you can transform your deck into a second kitchen/ dining space with an outdoor grill, pizza oven or barbecue. Add an outdoor wine fridge and sink and you’ll have the ultimate outdoor dining space.
- It’s a jungle out there. Adding lots of healthy plants to your deck will connect it to your garden and create the impression of a luxurious conservatory. Use plants to screen unwanted views and nosy neighbours, add shade and colour or cool a hot, north-facing deck. If your thumb is less than green, try succulents – they're easy to care for, don't need much watering and come in a fantastic array of colours and architectural forms. You could also install a misting system to make looking after them extra easy – with the bonus that it will decrease the ambient temperature by a couple of degrees on even the hottest days.
- Indulge your passions. If there’s something you love to do, why not design your deck or pergola to help you do it all year round. For example, camping enthusiasts might like to recreate the experience at home with a row of hammocks around a central firepit – you could toast marshmallows, cook a one-pot fry up and enjoy the great outdoors from the comfort of home! And your deck will be more accessible during the colder months.
Looking for expert deck builders who know their stuff inside and out? Give us a call!